How The Big Data Battle Is Shaking Out Between The Startups And The Enterprise Giants
The big enterprise companies are starting to put pressure on the startups in the growing field of data analytics. But the pressure is not as much related to innovation as it is to using their marketing muscle to build software stacks they can sell to retain existing customers.
Drawn to Scale Co-Founder Bradford Stephens sees this in his experiences, especially compared to last year when there were maybe three different companies marketing a Hadoop distribution. But just this week alone, EMC, Intel and HP all announced their own distributions.
Out of all this, we are hearing a lot of talk about why one comapny’s Hadoop distribution is so much better than a competitor’s. In our conversation, Stephens talks about the competition, the growing pressure on startups to do more than innovate and start bringing in business in face of the larger threats from the legacy vendors.
By Alex Williams
Related Posts via Categories
- AWS Just Made It A Whole Lot Easier For Anyone To Create A Virtual Private Cloud Showing Again How Enterprise Tech Is Obsolete
- CloudFlare Was Down Due To Edge Routers Crashing, Taking Down 785,000 Websites Including 4chan, Wikileaks, Metallica.com
- Evernote Looks For Int’l Growth, Inks Strategic Partnership With Deutsche Telekom, Starting With 1-Year Premium Accounts In Germany
- AppDynamics Adds New Way To Fix Application Problems Without Having To Do It Manually
- Newvem Launches Heat Map For CIOs, CTOs, And DevOps To Visualize AWS Cloud Usage
- ARM CEO Warren East Is Stepping Down And Getting Replaced By President Simon Segars
- Bloomfire Raises $8M From Austin, Redpoint To Bring Better Knowledge Sharing & Social Tools To The Enterprise
- Endgame Raises Another $23M To Take Its Gov’t Security Solutions To A Wider Commercial Market
- Kinvey Launches Enterprise Back-End Service For Building Mobile Apps That Move Data From Salesforce, Oracle And Other Sources
- Oracle Buys Nimbula For Cloud OS Software, Not OpenStack